PITTSBURGH, Might 10, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — L.B. Foster Firm (Nasdaq: FSTR), a world options supplier of services and products for the rail and infrastructure markets (the “Firm”), at this time reported its 2022 first quarter working outcomes, which included the next efficiency highlights. The Firm divested its Piling Merchandise division (“Piling”) in September 2021, and this launch displays sure changes associated to Piling, as acceptable.
- New orders totaling $135.4 million for the 2022 first quarter elevated 17.7% over the prior yr quarter and 42.2% sequentially. Backlog totaling $244.6 million elevated by $4.7 million, or 1.9%, in comparison with the prior yr quarter, as adjusted for the Piling divestiture, and grew $34.4 million, or 16.4%, within the quarter.
- Web gross sales for the 2022 first quarter had been $98.8 million, a $17.3 million lower, or 14.9%, from the primary quarter of 2021. Excluding the divested Piling division, internet gross sales1 elevated $3.5 million, or 3.7%, over the prior yr quarter.
- Gross revenue for the 2022 first quarter was $16.4 million, a $2.4 million decline, or 12.7%, from the prior yr quarter. The 2022 first quarter gross revenue margin was 16.6% versus 16.2% in final yr’s quarter. Excluding the Piling division, gross revenue1 decreased $1.2 million, or 6.7%, and gross revenue margin decreased 190 foundation factors excluding Piling1.
- Promoting and administrative bills for the 2022 first quarter had been $17.3 million, a $0.7 million lower, or 4.0%, from the prior yr quarter. Excluding the Piling division, promoting and administrative bills1 elevated $0.2 million.
- Web loss for the 2022 first quarter was $1.6 million, or $0.15 per diluted share, an elevated lack of $0.03 per diluted share from the prior yr quarter.
- EBITDA1 for the 2022 first quarter was $1.7 million, a $1.1 million lower versus the prior yr quarter. Excluding the Piling division, EBITDA1 decreased $0.8 million from the prior yr quarter.
- Web working money circulation used within the first quarter totaled $7.6 million in comparison with internet money offered by operations of $7.6 million within the prior yr quarter.
- Web debt1 as of March 31, 2022 was $29.4 million, down $2.4 million from final yr. The Firm’s adjusted internet leverage ratio1 was 1.7x as of March 31, 2022.
1 See “Non-GAAP Disclosures” on the finish of this press launch for info relating to the next non-GAAP measures used on this launch: EBITDA, adjusted EBITDA, internet debt, adjusted internet leverage ratio, and monetary info excluding Piling.
John Kasel, President and Chief Govt Officer, commented, “With the primary quarter of 2022 within the books, we’re inspired by a number of the constructive tendencies which can be growing in our enterprise. Whereas the working surroundings stays difficult, the constructive industrial panorama in our key markets created a robust tailwind because the quarter progressed. Order consumption ranges had been up considerably each in comparison with final yr and sequentially, and we continued to generate modest prime line progress yr over yr, after adjusting for the Piling divestiture, regardless of the numerous provide chain and order success challenges going through us at this time. We completed the quarter with a robust order backlog, which ought to translate right into a sequential income progress of at the least 25% and an bettering income outlook because the yr progresses, assuming provide chains don’t deteriorate additional.”
Mr. Kasel continued, “Regardless of the enhancements in income, our margins continued to be impacted by inflation in key uncooked supplies, significantly metal for sure rail and bridge merchandise. Total margins within the first quarter had been largely unchanged on a sequential foundation, however had been down almost 2 factors versus final yr when excluding the Piling outcomes. The decline was realized primarily in our Precast Concrete Merchandise and Metal Merchandise and Measurement segments, whereas margins in Rail, Applied sciences, and Providers improved barely each sequentially and yr over yr. Bettering our margins will stay a key space of focus for us. With the pricing actions we’ve taken, coupled with our sturdy order e-book and enhancements so as success, we imagine we’ll start to see an bettering development in margins because the yr progresses, significantly in our Precast and Metal Merchandise and Measurement companies the place margins have been most adversely impacted.”
First Quarter Outcomes
- Web gross sales for the primary quarter of 2022 had been $98.8 million, a $17.3 million lower, or 14.9%, in comparison with the prior yr quarter as a consequence of a 3.8% lower within the Rail, Applied sciences, and Providers phase (“Rail”), an 18.4% enhance within the Precast Concrete Merchandise phase (“Precast”), and a 46.0% lower in Metal Merchandise and Measurement phase internet gross sales. Excluding the divested Piling division, internet gross sales1 elevated 3.7% over the prior yr quarter. The $2.5 million lower within the Rail phase was attributable to the Rail Merchandise enterprise unit. The $2.3 million enhance within the Precast phase resulted from elevated constructing gross sales in our southern U.S. area. The $17.1 million lower within the Metal Merchandise and Measurement phase was pushed fully by the Piling divestiture in September 2021, with $20.8 million in gross sales in final yr’s first quarter. The Metal Merchandise and Measurement phase gross sales grew by 22.6% excluding the Piling division.
- Gross revenue for the 2022 first quarter was $16.4 million, a $2.4 million lower, or 12.7%, from the prior yr quarter. Rail and Metal Merchandise and Measurement gross revenue declined from the prior yr quarter by $0.3 million and $2.1 million, respectively, whereas Precast gross revenue was flat in comparison with the prior yr quarter. The consolidated gross revenue margin of 16.6% elevated by 40 foundation factors versus final yr, with the rise attributable to the Rail phase, which elevated by 40 foundation factors through the present quarter due primarily to the Rail Merchandise and Know-how Options and Providers enterprise models. The decline in gross revenue margin in Precast, which was down 330 foundation factors in comparison with the prior yr interval, is principally attributable to continued larger uncooked materials and labor prices, coupled with extra important manufacturing disruptions in comparison with final yr’s quarter. The 220 foundation level discount in Metal Merchandise and Measurement was primarily as a consequence of larger uncooked materials prices for bridge merchandise and continued market weak point impacting Coatings and Measurement. Excluding the Piling enterprise, gross revenue1 for the Firm decreased $1.2 million, or 6.7%, and gross revenue margin decreased 190 foundation factors.
- Promoting and administrative bills within the first quarter decreased $0.7 million, or 4.0%, from the prior yr quarter, primarily attributable to the Piling divestiture. Excluding the Piling division, promoting and administrative bills elevated $0.2 million, or 1.2%. Promoting and administrative bills as a p.c of internet gross sales elevated to 17.5%, a 200-basis level enhance from the prior yr quarter because of the decline in gross sales from the Piling divestiture. Excluding the Piling division, promoting and administrative bills as a p.c of internet gross sales decreased 40 foundation factors.
- Web loss for the 2022 first quarter was $1.6 million, or a lack of $0.15 per diluted share, in comparison with a internet lack of $1.3 million, or a lack of $0.12 per diluted share within the prior yr quarter.
- EBITDA1 for the 2022 first quarter was $1.7 million, a 39.7% lower in comparison with the prior yr quarter. Excluding the Piling division, EBITDA1 decreased 33.1% from the prior yr quarter.
- Through the first quarter of 2022, internet debt1 elevated from $20.9 million to $29.4 million, an $8.5 million enhance, whereas internet debt1 was down $2.4 million yr over yr. The Firm’s adjusted internet leverage ratio1 was 1.7x, with complete obtainable funding capability of $100.1 million as of March 31, 2022, topic to covenant restrictions.
- First quarter new orders had been $135.4 million, a lower of $0.2 million from the prior yr quarter. Excluding Piling Merchandise, new orders had been up $20.4 million, or 17.7%, from the prior yr quarter. New orders within the Rail phase elevated by $22.7 million and Metal Merchandise and Measurement, excluding Piling, elevated by $9.3 million, or 59.6%, in comparison with the prior yr quarter. These will increase had been partially offset by an $11.6 million lower in orders within the Precast phase. Backlog totaling $244.6 million elevated by $4.7 million, or 1.9%, in comparison with the prior yr quarter, as adjusted for the Piling divestiture, and grew $34.4 million within the quarter.
Through the 2022 first quarter, the Firm’s backlog grew by $34.4 million, ending at a sturdy at $244.6 million. The Firm is sustaining its optimistic outlook relating to the longer-term tendencies in its core finish markets of freight and transit rail and common infrastructure. Whereas total citation exercise and demand in these markets continues to enhance, they’re nonetheless beneath pre-pandemic ranges, significantly in its rail markets. The Firm expects that a lot of its companies will proceed to straight profit from infrastructure funding exercise, together with funding advantages from U.S. Infrastructure Funding and Jobs Act (“IIJA”) handed in November 2021. Whereas order and backlog ranges in our Precast enterprise have benefited from the Nice American Outdoor Act handed in 2020, we have now not but seen important enterprise exercise from the IIJA. We imagine IIJA-related funding might be processed by the assorted companies throughout 2022. We must always then see our quotations and orders growing as we progress by the yr, with associated income realized in 2023 and past. The current inflationary surroundings in labor and uncooked supplies continues to strain margins throughout the enterprise, and the Firm has taken and can proceed to take pricing actions the place attainable to assist mitigate such impacts. As well as, the Firm continues to take proactive steps to handle disruptions in uncooked supplies, labor, provide chains, service associate assets, and lingering COVID-19 associated results to mitigate their antagonistic impression on its operations and outcomes as a lot as attainable. Whereas such situations and the associated impacts are anticipated to enhance in 2022, they may persist all through 2022 and chance longer. Regardless of these challenges, with the proceeds from the Piling division divestiture coupled with the extra flexibility and capability ensuing from the modification and extension of our credit score settlement accomplished in August 2021, the Firm believes it has the assets obtainable to fund its operations and execute on natural and acquisitive progress alternatives in 2022 and past.
First Quarter Convention Name
L.B. Foster Firm will conduct a convention name and webcast to debate its first quarter 2022 working outcomes on Tuesday, Might 10, 2022 at 11:00 AM ET. The decision might be hosted by Mr. John Kasel, President and Chief Govt Officer. Hear through audio and entry the slide presentation on the L.B. Foster site: www.lbfoster.com, beneath the Investor Relations web page. The convention name can be accessed by dialing 833-614-1392 (U.S. & Canada) or 914-987-7113 (Worldwide).
A convention name replay might be obtainable by Might 17, 2022. To entry the replay, please dial 855-859-2056 (U.S. & Canada) or 404-537-3406 (Worldwide) and supply the entry code: 3420518. The convention name replay can even be obtainable through webcast by L.B. Foster’s Investor Relations web page of the corporate’s web site.
About L.B. Foster Firm
Based in 1902, L.B. Foster Firm is a world options supplier of engineered, manufactured services and products that builds and helps infrastructure. The Firm’s revolutionary engineering and product growth options handle the protection, reliability, and efficiency wants of its buyer’s most difficult necessities. The Firm maintains places in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia. For extra info, please go to www.lbfoster.com.
Non-GAAP Monetary Measures
This press launch accommodates monetary measures that aren’t calculated and introduced in accordance with usually accepted accounting rules in the USA (“GAAP”). These non-GAAP monetary measures are offered as extra info for traders. The presentation of this extra info is just not meant to be thought-about in isolation or as an alternative to GAAP measures. For definitions of the non-GAAP monetary measures used on this press launch and reconciliations to probably the most straight comparable respective GAAP measures, see the “Non-GAAP Disclosures” part beneath.
This launch could comprise “forward-looking” statements throughout the that means of Part 21E of the Securities Change Act of 1934, as amended, and Part 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended. Ahead-looking statements present administration’s present expectations of future occasions based mostly on sure assumptions and embrace any assertion that doesn’t straight relate to any historic or present truth. Sentences containing phrases resembling “imagine,” “intend,” “plan,” “could,” “anticipate,” “ought to,” “may,” “anticipate,” “estimate,” “predict,” “venture,” or their negatives, or different comparable expressions of a future or forward-looking nature usually ought to be thought-about forward-looking statements. Ahead-looking statements on this earnings launch are based mostly on administration’s present expectations and assumptions about future occasions that contain inherent dangers and uncertainties and will concern, amongst different issues, the Firm’s expectations regarding our technique, targets, projections, and plans relating to our monetary place, liquidity, capital assets, and outcomes of operations and choices relating to our strategic progress initiatives, market place, and product growth. Whereas the Firm considers these expectations and assumptions to be affordable, they’re inherently topic to important enterprise, financial, aggressive, regulatory, and different dangers and uncertainties, most of that are troublesome to foretell and lots of of that are past the Firm’s management. The Firm cautions readers that numerous components may trigger the precise outcomes of the Firm to vary materially from these indicated by forward-looking statements. Accordingly, traders mustn’t place undue reliance on forward-looking statements as a prediction of precise outcomes. Among the many components that might trigger the precise outcomes to vary materially from these indicated within the forward-looking statements are dangers and uncertainties associated to: the COVID-19 pandemic, and any future world well being crises, and the associated social, regulatory, and financial impacts and the response thereto by the Firm, our staff, our prospects, and nationwide, state, or native governments; volatility within the costs of oil and pure gasoline and the associated impression on the midstream vitality markets, which may lead to value mitigation actions, together with shutdowns or furlough intervals; a continuation or worsening of the antagonistic financial situations within the markets we serve, whether or not because of the present COVID-19 pandemic, together with its impression on labor markets, provide chains, and different inflationary prices, journey and demand for oil and gasoline, the continued deterioration within the costs for oil and gasoline, governmental journey restrictions, venture delays, and price range shortfalls, or in any other case; volatility within the world capital markets, together with rate of interest fluctuations, which may adversely have an effect on our skill to entry the capital markets on phrases which can be favorable to us; restrictions on our skill to attract on our credit score settlement, together with because of any future lack of ability to adjust to restrictive covenants contained therein; a unbroken lower in freight or transit rail site visitors, together with because of the continuing COVID-19 pandemic; environmental issues, together with any prices related to any remediation and monitoring of such issues; the chance of doing enterprise in worldwide markets, together with compliance with anti-corruption and bribery legal guidelines, overseas foreign money fluctuations and inflation, and commerce restrictions or embargoes; our skill to effectuate our technique, together with value discount initiatives, and our skill to successfully combine acquired companies or to divest companies, such because the latest tendencies of the Piling and IOS Check and Inspection Providers companies and acquisition of the LarKen Precast enterprise and to understand anticipated advantages; prices of and impacts related to shareholder activism; continued buyer restrictions relating to the on-site presence of third occasion suppliers as a result of COVID-19 pandemic; the timeliness and availability of supplies from our main suppliers, together with any continuation or worsening of the disruptions within the provide chain skilled because of the COVID-19 pandemic, in addition to the impression on our entry to provides of buyer preferences as to the origin of such provides, resembling prospects’ issues about battle minerals; labor disputes; cyber-security dangers resembling information safety breaches, malware, ransomware, “hacking,” and id theft, which may disrupt our enterprise and will lead to misuse or misappropriation of confidential or proprietary info, and will consequence within the disruption or injury to our techniques, elevated prices and losses, or an antagonistic impact to our fame; the persevering with effectiveness of our ongoing implementation of an enterprise useful resource planning system; adjustments in present accounting estimates and their final outcomes; the adequacy of inner and exterior sources of funds to satisfy financing wants, together with our skill to barter any extra crucial amendments to our credit score settlement or the phrases of any new credit score settlement, and reforms relating to using LIBOR as a benchmark for establishing relevant rates of interest; the Firm’s skill to handle its working capital necessities and indebtedness; home and worldwide taxes, together with estimates that will impression taxes; home and overseas authorities rules, together with tariffs; financial situations and regulatory adjustments brought on by the UK’s exit from the European Union; geopolitical situations, together with the battle in Ukraine; a scarcity of state or federal funding for brand new infrastructure initiatives; a rise in manufacturing or materials prices; the lack of future revenues from present prospects; and dangers inherent in litigation and the result of litigation and product guarantee claims. Ought to a number of of those dangers or uncertainties materialize, or ought to the assumptions underlying the forward-looking statements show incorrect, precise outcomes may range materially from these indicated. Important dangers and uncertainties that will have an effect on the operations, efficiency, and outcomes of the Firm’s enterprise and forward-looking statements embrace, however aren’t restricted to, these set forth beneath Merchandise 1A, “Danger Elements,” and elsewhere in our Annual Report on Kind 10-Ok for the yr ended December 31, 2021, or as up to date and/or amended by our different present or periodic filings with the Securities and Change Fee.
The forward-looking statements on this launch are made as of the date of this launch and we assume no obligation to replace or revise any forward-looking assertion, whether or not because of new info, future developments, or in any other case, besides as required by the federal securities legal guidelines.
L.B. Foster Firm
415 Vacation Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15220
L.B. FOSTER COMPANY AND SUBSIDIARIES
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS
(In hundreds, besides per share information)
|Three Months Ended
|Gross sales of products||$||84,421||$||100,546|
|Gross sales of companies||14,373||15,534|
|Complete internet gross sales||98,794||116,080|
|Value of products offered||69,845||84,125|
|Value of companies offered||12,502||13,125|
|Complete value of gross sales||82,347||97,250|
|Promoting and administrative bills||17,298||18,026|
|Curiosity expense – internet||370||871|
|Different (earnings) expense – internet||(563||)||59|
|Loss earlier than earnings taxes||(2,094||)||(1,591||)|
|Revenue tax profit||(508||)||(321||)|
|Web loss attributable to noncontrolling curiosity||(20||)||(12||)|
|Web loss attributable to L.B. Foster Firm||$||(1,566||)||$||(1,258||)|
|Fundamental loss per widespread share||$||(0.15||)||$||(0.12||)|
|Diluted loss per widespread share||$||(0.15||)||$||(0.12||)|
|Common variety of widespread shares excellent – Fundamental||10,685||10,583|
|Common variety of widespread shares excellent – Diluted||10,685||10,583|
L.B. FOSTER COMPANY AND SUBSIDIARIES
CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEETS
|Money and money equivalents||$||6,239||$||10,372|
|Accounts receivable – internet||59,135||55,911|
|Contract belongings – internet||34,268||36,179|
|Inventories – internet||67,799||62,871|
|Different present belongings||19,623||14,146|
|Complete present belongings||187,064||179,479|
|Property, plant, and gear – internet||57,579||58,222|
|Working lease right-of-use belongings – internet||14,374||15,131|
|Different intangibles – internet||29,487||31,023|
|Deferred tax belongings||37,721||37,242|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS’ EQUITY|
|Accrued payroll and worker advantages||5,330||9,517|
|Present portion of accrued settlement||8,000||8,000|
|Present maturities of long-term debt||80||98|
|Different accrued liabilities||11,593||13,757|
|Complete present liabilities||89,796||86,194|
|Deferred tax liabilities||3,659||3,753|
|Lengthy-term portion of accrued settlement||16,000||16,000|
|Lengthy-term working lease liabilities||11,558||12,279|
|Different long-term liabilities||9,171||9,606|
|Collected different complete loss||(19,117||)||(18,845||)|
|Complete L.B. Foster Firm stockholders’ fairness||181,114||183,092|
|Complete stockholders’ fairness||181,697||183,610|
|TOTAL LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS’ EQUITY||$||347,412||$||342,595|
This earnings launch discloses earnings earlier than curiosity, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (“EBITDA”), adjusted EBITDA, internet debt, adjusted internet leverage ratio, and changes to persevering with operations reflecting the Piling Merchandise divestiture, that are non-GAAP monetary measures. The Firm believes that EBITDA is beneficial to traders as a supplemental approach to consider the continuing operations of the Firm’s enterprise since EBITDA could improve traders’ skill to match historic intervals because it adjusts for the impression of financing strategies, tax legislation and technique adjustments, and depreciation and amortization. As well as, EBITDA is a monetary measure that administration and the Firm’s Board of Administrators use of their monetary and operational decision-making and within the dedication of sure compensation applications. Adjusted EBITDA adjusts for sure fees to EBITDA from persevering with operations that the Firm believes are uncommon, non-recurring, unpredictable, or non-cash.
Within the trailing twelve months ended March 31, 2022, the Firm made changes to exclude the achieve on the sale of the Piling Merchandise enterprise. Within the trailing twelve months ended March 31, 2021, the Firm made an adjustment for the impression of restructuring actions and web site relocation and a non-recurring profit from a distribution related to the Firm’s curiosity in an unconsolidated partnership. The Firm believes the outcomes adjusted to exclude the divested Piling enterprise are helpful to traders to guage the outcomes of operations of the Firm’s ongoing and present enterprise portfolio.
The Firm views internet debt, which is complete debt much less money and money equivalents, and the adjusted internet leverage ratio, which is the ratio of internet debt to the trailing twelve-month adjusted EBITDA, as necessary metrics of the operational and monetary well being of the group and imagine they’re helpful to traders as indicators of its skill to incur extra debt and to service its present debt.
Non-GAAP monetary measures aren’t an alternative to GAAP monetary outcomes and may solely be thought-about along with the Firm’s monetary info that’s introduced in accordance with GAAP. Quantitative reconciliations of EBITDA, adjusted EBITDA from persevering with operations, internet debt, adjusted internet leverage ratio, and changes to exclude the divested Piling enterprise are introduced beneath (in hundreds, besides per share and ratio):
|Three Months Ended
|Trailing Twelve Months Ended
|Adjusted EBITDA Reconciliation|
|Web (loss) earnings, as reported||$||(1,586||)||$||(1,270||)||$||3,155||$||24,558|
|Curiosity expense – internet||370||871||2,455||3,820|
|Revenue tax expense (profit)||(508||)||(321||)||932||(12,104||)|
|Relocation and restructuring prices||—||—||—||1,868|
|Distribution from unconsolidated partnership||—||—||—||(1,874||)|
|Acquire on divestiture of Piling Merchandise||—||—||(2,741||)||—|
|Web Debt Reconciliation|
|Much less money and money equivalents||(6,239||)||(10,372||)||(5,015||)|
|Adjusted Web Leverage Ratio Reconciliation|
|Trailing twelve month adjusted EBITDA from persevering with operations||17,607||29,937|
|Adjusted internet leverage ratio||1.7x||1.1x|
|Three Months Ended
|New Orders Reconciliation|
|Much less: Piling Merchandise||—||20,575|
|New orders excluding Piling Merchandise||$||135,405||$||115,045|
|Much less: Piling Merchandise||—||32,004|
|Backlog excluding Piling Merchandise||$||244,618||$||239,940|
|Three Months Ended
|Adjusted Outcomes Of Operations For The Piling Divestiture Reconciliation|
|Web gross sales, as reported||$||98,794||$||116,080|
|Much less: Piling Merchandise internet gross sales||—||(20,797||)|
|Web gross sales, as adjusted||98,794||95,283|
|Gross revenue, as reported||$||16,447||$||18,830|
|Much less: Piling Merchandise gross revenue||—||(1,193||)|
|Gross revenue, as adjusted||16,447||17,637|
|Promoting and administrative expense, as reported||$||17,298||$||18,026|
|Much less: Piling Merchandise promoting and administrative expense||—||(938||)|
|Promoting and administrative expense, as adjusted||17,298||17,088|
|EBITDA, as reported||$||1,650||$||2,735|
|Much less: Piling Merchandise EBITDA||—||(267||)|
|EBITDA, as adjusted||1,650||2,468|
|Three Months Ended
|Adjusted Phase Outcomes For The Piling Divestiture Reconciliation|
|Metal Merchandise and Measurement internet gross sales, as reported||$||20,074||$||37,170|
|Much less: Piling Merchandise internet gross sales||—||(20,797||)|
|Metal Merchandise and Measurement internet gross sales, as adjusted||20,074||16,373|
|Metal Merchandise and Measurement gross revenue, as reported||$||1,474||$||3,536|
|Much less: Piling Merchandise gross revenue||—||(1,193||)|
|Metal Merchandise and Measurement gross revenue, as adjusted||1,474||2,343|
|Metal Merchandise and Measurement working loss, as reported||$||(2,148||)||$||(928||)|
|Much less: Piling Merchandise working revenue||—||(255||)|
|Metal Merchandise and Measurement working loss, as adjusted||(2,148||)||(1,183||)|